We all know the feeling of hitting snooze too many times and then scrambling to prepare for the day ahead. Or maybe we oversleep and wake up feeling groggy and disoriented. Sound familiar? Developing a morning ritual can be the answer if you’re looking for a way to start your days off on the right foot.
A morning ritual can set the tone for the entire day. It can be as simple as waking up a few minutes earlier to have some quiet time to yourself or taking a quick walk around the block to get some fresh air. Whatever you choose, having a routine in the morning can help make your day more productive, calm, and blissful.
What’s the deal with the best morning rituals?
A morning ritual is simply a set of activities you perform every morning, typically shortly after waking up. How much time you invest in your morning routine depends on you. Your actions can last a few minutes, an hour, or more. The best morning rituals usually involve:
- Some combination of self-care
- Preparation for the day ahead
- Setting intentions for how you want your day to play out
There are lots of benefits to having a morning ritual. For one, your routine can help you feel more rested, relaxed, and prepared to face the day ahead. Additionally, morning rituals can help to boost your mood and energy levels, making you feel more positive and motivated throughout the day. Think about if you woke up, did some light stretching, made breakfast, and wrote in your journal. Chances are you’d feel relaxed and clear-headed.
Finally, by taking some time for yourself in the morning, you can start your day off feeling centred and grounded, which can carry over into the rest of your day. You’re ready to focus on everything else that needs your attention.
Why building a morning ritual is a game-changer
There are a few key reasons why you might want to start developing a morning ritual. First, taking some time for yourself in the morning can help you start the day feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. Rather than rushing out the door and trying to fit in a few minutes of “me time” later in the day, you’ve already carved out some time for yourself when you wake up. You start your day from a place of relaxation and calm before your day starts.
Second, having some structure and routine in the morning can help make your day more productive and less chaotic. Think about it. When you wake up at the same time every morning and complete the same daily activities, you deal with less fuss and stress. You have time to get ready, visualize your day, and hit the ground running.
And finally, setting intentions for the day ahead can help you stay focused and on track with your goals. By taking a few minutes to think about what you want to accomplish, you’re more likely to achieve them. Having a morning ritual can help keep you accountable and motivated.
How do you create the best morning rituals?
There’s no one-size-fits-all answer to this question since the best morning rituals will vary depending on your individual needs and preferences. However, there are a few tips that can help you get started.
Choose your activities
Think about what activities make you feel good and create a positive mindset. Consider waking up a few minutes early to enjoy some quiet time with a coffee or tea or going for a quick walk or jog to get your body moving. Once you’ve identified a few activities that work for you, aim to stick with them as best you can.
The key here is to start small. Pick one or two activities that you can realistically fit into your mornings, and then slowly add more over time. Some people prefer to do quiet self-care activities, like meditating or journaling. In contrast, others might choose to do some light exercise or read the news. Finding something you enjoy that fits your lifestyle and makes you feel most prepared for the day ahead is essential.
Think about what time of day you want to start your ritual. Do you want to wake up early and have plenty of time to relax and enjoy your morning? Or do you prefer to launch into your morning ritual later and wait until after breakfast to get started?
Make the ritual work for you
Make sure that your morning routine is flexible enough to accommodate unexpected events. Life happens, and there will be days when you have to miss your ritual or when something comes up that throws off your plans. Be prepared to go with the flow and adapt as needed.
Patience is your best friend
Developing a morning ritual takes time and practice. It won’t happen overnight, so give yourself some grace and allow yourself to make mistakes along the way. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and your perfect morning ritual won’t be either.
The best morning rituals can help to boost your mood and energy levels, making you feel more positive and motivated throughout the day. Finally, by taking some time for yourself in the morning, you can start your day off feeling centred and grounded, which can carry over into the rest of your day.
15 examples of the best morning rituals to kickstart your journey
1. Wake up a few minutes early: This gives you some time to yourself to clear your mind and set a few intentions for the day ahead. Try setting your alarm 5-10 minutes earlier than usual and see how it feels.
2. Make your bed: This simple task can help you start the day feeling organized and put together. Add pops of colour with fun throw pillows, and turn on a diffuser with your favourite essential oil to relax you as you prep for your day.
3. Take a quick walk or stretch: Getting some fresh air and moving your body can help you start your day feeling refreshed and full of energy. Go for a walk around your neighbourhood or a park. And log on to YouTube to find videos to find stretches to wake up your body.
4. Eat a nutritious breakfast: Fueling your body with healthy food will give you the energy to power through your day. Try to avoid sugary foods since they can cause an energy crash later on in the day. Stick with foods like eggs, oatmeal, or fruit instead.
5. Meditate: Taking some time to focus on your breath can help you center yourself and start the day feeling calm and collected. Use an app like Headspace or Calm to guide you through your meditation.
6. Journal: Writing down your thoughts and feelings can help you process them and release them for the day ahead. Try to write for 5-10 minutes every morning to get started.
7. Set intentions: Choose one or two things you want to focus on for the day, and make them your intention.
8. Read the news or a chapter from your favourite book: Some light reading can help you start the day informed and inspired. Use an app like Likewise to find book recommendations, so you always have books ready to enjoy.
9. Connect with loved ones: Taking a few minutes to catch up with your friends and family can help you start the day feeling loved and supported. Have breakfast as a family or call or text a friend.
10. Listen to calm music: Some background noise can help you relax and focus on your morning routine. Log onto Spotify to find instrumentals to avoid getting distracted.
11. Take a hot shower: The warm water can help relax your muscles and soothe your mind. Add a one or two drops of lavender oil to your shower, or use a shower steamer to help you relax even more.
12. Do something creative: Whether it’s painting, drawing, or writing, doing something creative can help you express yourself and start the day feeling inspired. Set a timer for 10 minutes and see what you can create in that timeframe.
13. Make a to-do list: Getting your thoughts out of your head and onto paper can help you feel more organized and prepped for the day ahead. Make a list of what you need to do, big and small. Also, get organized by spending a few minutes going through your email or planner to get a head start on the day’s tasks.
14. Declutter your space: Taking a few minutes to tidy up your bedroom or office area can help you start your day with focus. Put away any clothes out of place, and clear off any cluttered surfaces.
15. Take a few deep breaths: If you’re feeling overwhelmed or stressed, take a few minutes to breathe deeply and calm your mind as you get ready for your day.
The best morning rituals can help set the tone for a calm and productive day. By taking some time for yourself in the morning, you can start your day off feeling ready to take on whatever comes your way. Choose a few of these morning rituals to make your days more blissful.
Now it’s your turn to get started
The morning rituals listed above are a great way to start your day right. By taking some time for yourself in the morning, you can set the tone for a calm and productive day and improve your mood. So why not give it a try? You might be surprised at how much of a difference it makes.
What’s your favourite morning ritual? Let us know in the comments below!